Skip to main content

Law Reviews & Journals: Research Guide

A guide with information on resources for cite checks, Bluebooking, and writing articles.

Burger Library Circulation Policies (for materials in our collection)

The Mitchell Hamline Law Review staff may check out Burger Library materials needed for cite checks using the Law Review account.  Generally, these items are kept on in the Law Review study room on the lower level.

Circulating items may be checked out for twelve weeks, with 2 renewals allowed.  Materials may be subject to recall after 2 weeks if requested by another patron.

Non-circulating items (as indicated by the library catalog) should be used in the library and returned to reshelving carts.  They may not be checked out, and may not be kept in the law review study room.

We do not allow reserve items to sit on the Law Review shelves.

At the end of the loan period, the Law Review Staff must return all books to the circulation desk to be scanned and checked in the system before re-shelving. The library staff will re-shelve all items once they are properly returned.

The library would like the Law Review editors to check the Law Review shelves at the end of each semester to make sure that all items that are no longer needed by the collective have been returned.


Interlibrary Loan (ILL) (Ii.e. Our Library Doesn't Have It)

The Warren E. Burger Library is able to request books from other libraries through the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) system.

The ILL service is available for all Mitchell Hamline faculty, students, and staff.

Make sure our library does not have the material you're looking for before filling out an ILL request. (See the "Finding the Source" tab).

How to fill out an ILL request (for Law Review only):

  1. On the main college website, click on the Warren E. Burger Library link on the navigation bar.
  2. On the Library page, click on the Interlibrary Loan link on the sidebar
  3. Register for a new ILLiad account or login using your ILLiad credentials
  4. Fill out the request (paying attention to the required fields).
  5. Select "submit" when complete.

Note that Law Review has special procedures with regards to filling out ILL requests; you must request it in the name of the Library Liaison Assisant Editor, using the email address and telephone number designated for that editor. Also indicate the name of your editor, as well as your name (so any questions about the request can be answered by the person who filled it out).

Circulation Staff

The professional library circulation staff is happy to answer your questions about in-house circulation, and Interlibrary Loan procedures.           

Jeff Nylander 


In addition to staff, the library also has several student assistants working the Circulation desk. Whereas they can assist you in checking out all Mitchell Hamline materials, pulling books that have come in for you off the hold shelf, or receiving ILL books that are being returned, they are not the persons to whom you should go with questions about official library/law review procedures.

To contact the Circulation staff:

call: 651/290-6333